Over the next few weeks, we will feature messages from our new Leadership Team! We start with a message from Mary E. Foley PhD, RN, FAAN, our first Chair! Mary is a past President of the American Nurses Association (2000-2002, the first “out” lesbian in this position) and brings heaps of leadership experience to the Section! You can see more about her in the brief bio she provided at the time of our election! Here is Mary’s message!
Hello Everyone: Congratulations on the successful launch of the GLMA Nursing Section ! This work is the result of commitment and dedication on the part of many nurse advocates, and I especially want to thank Peggy Chinn, Laura Hein, and Sarah Fogel (Laura and Sarah are on the GLMA Board and need our support). The on-site summit was a success, and this year, we heard some wonderful presentation on our history, and on the potential for Interprofessional collaboration. The balance of the meeting focused primarily on the business of starting the section. Next year in
Mary Foley & Catherine Dodd
Portland, we will be hosting a lively and informative program, which is already in the active planning process with a really talented program committee. We hope we will have your support as we realize our first year as the FIRST section in GLMA. Please join GLMA and the Nursing Section (we have our own budget, so please help us support our board members and continue our outreach) I look forward to working with all of you in the next year. Please let us know how to better represent our nursing issues. My photo is from last month with my nurse life partner Catherine Dodd. I couldn’t do this work without her love and support.
In Unity, Mary
As one of the originators of the Nursing Section Proposal, I am working with Sarah Fogel and Laura Hein (the nurse members of the GLMA Board) to plan the agenda for our first business meeting. The meeting will be held at the time of the Nursing Summit on September 10, 2014, in Baltimore, Maryland. The first leadership team for the Section will be elected at this meeting; in the future the process for elections will be developed for broad participation by all Section members. All who join the Nursing Section at the time of the Summit will be eligible to vote in the first election of officers.
This is a tentative proposed agenda for the business meeting:
I. Section Proposal Workgroup (Peggy)
- Introduce members of workgroup
- Brief report of the process and what the approved proposal contains (make sure it is distributed to all attendees)
- Description of the workgroup structure for organizing Section activities
- Unveiling of our web site and description of how it will work
II. Report from GLMA Board representatives (Sarah F or Laura H))
III. Election of officers (Sarah F)
- Introduce candidates on the ballot
- Call for nominations from the floor (everyone will write in the names of additional nominees)
- Official call for vote by paper ballot (ballots will be collected and counted by designated GLMA members)
IV. Workgroup leaders for 2014-15 – call for volunteers
V. 2015 Summit planning group
Give us your comments and suggestions below!!!
With the establishment of the GLMA Nursing Section, we are setting up this “working” web site and blog! The purpose of the web site and the blogs include:
- Establishing an archive and history of the work we do together;
- Providing information for our colleagues and the public concerning nursing and LGBT health;
- Providing a central place to display working drafts of documents for feedback and comment;
- Promoting and celebrating achievements in nursing related to LGBT issues;
- Encouraging nurse participation in interdisciplinary projects by highlighting the contributions of nurses in these projects;
- Promoting interaction (comments, feedback, suggestions) among our members, other members of GLMA, the broader nursing and health care communities, as well as LGBT individuals who are interested in the work we are doing.
So join us! And participate on this blog and web site by leaving your comments and using our contact forms! We would love to hear from you!