Date: September 14, 2016 — all day!
In conjunction with the 34th Annual GLMA Conference on LGBT Health
Where: St Louis, Missouri
(Early-Bird Registration extended through July 31st at 11:59 pm Eastern)
We have a dynamite day planned for our 4th Annual GLMA Nursing Summit! Here are the details!
- 7:30 am – Registration
- 8:00 am – Welcome: Hector Vargas, GLMA Executive Director and Jesse Joad, GLMA President
- 8:20 am – Overview of GLMA Nursing: Michael Johnson, GLMA Nursing Section Chair
- 8:30 am – Introduction of Keynote Speaker Tonda Hughes: Mickey Eliason
- 8:40 am – Keynote Presentation “From gay bars to marriage equality: The evolution of research on sexual minority women’s health from one researcher’s perspective” Tonda Hughes, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 9:40 am – Break
- 10:00 am – Innovative Network Strategies in Queer and Ally Communities: Caitlin Stover, GLMA Nursing Section Chair-Elect
- 11:15 am – Plenary Presentations: Moderated by Sarah Fogel, GLMA Board Member
- Cultural Competence of Nurse Practitioners: Providing Care for Gay and Lesbian Clients: Paul Smith
- LGBTQ Identity in Nursing Education: What’s the Big Deal?: Tracey Rickards
- Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People: Linda Wesp
- The attitudes of medical surgical nurses toward members of the lesbian and gay community: Allen Smith
- 12:15 pm – Lunch (included in Registration Fee)
- 1:15 pm – Leadership for Policy Change: Mary Foley
- 1:45 pm – Introduction to interest-focused breakout groups: Peggy Chinn, GLMA Nursing Section Recorder
- 2:00 pm – Interest-focused Breakout groups
- Queering Nursing Research (Kate Jackman and team from Research workgroup)
- HIV-AIDS Nursing Care
- Transgender Care
- Global LGBTQ Health
- Curriculum Change for LGBTQ Health Inclusion
- Additional topics will be determined by Summit participants
- 3:00 pm – Break
- 3:15 pm – Reports from all Interest groups
- 3:45 pm – GLMA Nursing Section Business Meeting
At the end of the day, the 34th Annual GLMA Conference will kick off with a welcome reception, providing Summit attendees an unprecedented opportunity to meet and network with other healthcare professionals – all committed to improving health and healthcare for all!
Meet our keynote speaker Tonda Hughes, PhD, RN, FAAN!
Tonda’s research on sexual minority women is known world-wide. Her talk is titled “From gay bars to marriage equality: The evolution of research on sexual minority women’s health from one researcher’s perspective.” Tonda’s wealth of experience and expertise will provide the perfect start to the day on the theme “Challenges of Advancing LGBTQ Health in Nursing: Finding Your Way.”
Plan to join us – this promises to be the best Nursing Summit yet! If you have questions, let us know by contacting us here!